Marchena in Seville is 60km south of the province in the undulating cereal fields and olive groves of La Campina of the Guadalquivir valley. This pretty town liberally sprinkled with well-preserved monuments was in its heyday presided over by the Dukes of Arcos, who built the elegant colonnaded square, the Plaza Ducal, in front of what used to be the dukes’ majestic mansion, which was sadly demolished in the early 20th century.
Ayuntamiento de Marchena
Plaza del Ayuntamiento, 1 41620 Marchena (Seville)
|Health Clinic||Bars, shops, restaurants||Schools||Municipal pool||Beach
|Golf nearby||Malaga 160km Granada 200km Seville 60km||Bus and train
Marchena in Seville is worth a visit for its collection of paintings by one of Spain’s finest 17th-century artists, Francisco de Zubaran from Extremadura, along with other religious art.
The town has a long history, whose settlers left their mark most notably with the town walls, first constructed by the Romans, revamped by the Moors and largely rebuilt by the Christians under Ferdinand III, who captured the town in 1240.